Friday, January 19, 2007

Reading

The blue Bedspread: Sublime prose, melancholic and haunting, its a book that stays with you.
Here's an excerpt of the author's interview that i find fascinatingly revealing..

q: At a book discussion for your last novel If You are Afraid of Heights, everyone else was going on about how more people should read, but you said that was an unrealistic expectation. Why?

Jha: See, the few people who are damaged enough to love reading are essentially those who are comfortable with solitude. Also, reading forces you to have both imagination and empathy – two troubling little things – so you see a bit of yourself in anything you read. And to expect all of us to be like that is ridiculous.....

3 comments:

twin said...

I totally agree!

I could never read when I wasn't comfortable with myself. It takes a lot to be comfortable with one's own self and once that is acheived, reading is like a call to the solitary soul.

writerwoman said...

That description could be me. I never thought of it that way before.

Usha said...

yep me too.it rang a bell with me-considering i have always been a book-worm :)
its like u dont miss noise and u dont miss the part of not being with ppl!